Lens Heater Project – Part 3… Enclosure and testing…

Well, the Lens Heater project has undergone some changes…

I didn’t have any intentions of putting it in an enclosure of any kind while testing, but i spotted some empty motor cases on the shelf and couldn’t resist, I epoxied 2 of them together and cut a hole through for the battery cables, in the bottom there are two 3s 2200mah Li-Po batteries secured in place with foam blocks, and in the top there is the circuit board and LCD…

I have given the project it’s first test out in the field and it performed as expected, although the air temperature did only reach 0 degrees so I’m not sure if i actually prevented dew forming or fogging but it did keep the front lens element warmer than air temperature which was the aim…

I have decided on a couple of changes i would like to see in it too:

  • A battery level gauge of some kind, either voltage or voltage and current used.
  • The ability to turn off the heater element while keeping the rest of the circuit powered.
  • The ability to turn off the LCD backlight.

I also need to permanently move the air temperature sensor outside the enclosure as it gets false readings…

I have also just purchased a non contact IR temperature sensor to try out, hopefully this wont have any kind of detrimental effect on the images and will be able to record a very accurate temperature of the lens/barrel…

Until next time here are some images of the enclosure…

2017-01-15-19-40-162017-01-15-19-42-352017-01-15-19-42-31

 

2017-01-15-19-40-212017-01-15-19-40-36

Leave a Reply