Lens Heater Project – Part 2… – Ready For Testing…

Well, i’ve found a bit more time today to get the lens heater to a stage ready for testing. unfortunately i did fry an Arduino nano and Dallas DS18B20 temperature sensor in the process but it’s all sorted now and ready for test…

Firstly i got the component soldered to a board, trying to keep it as compact as possible…

2017-01-14-17-34-51

The added the Arduino Nano…

2017-01-14-17-35-02

And here it is completed and functional…

2017-01-14-17-40-47

Then I needed to come up with a way to mount the heating element to the lens… But firstly I backed the element with foil in an attempt to help radiate the heat towards the lens…

2017-01-14-19-13-18

Then i used some 2mm thick sticky back neoprene, which holds heat surprisingly well, to ‘house’ the heating element and make it attach to the lens…

2017-01-14-19-23-36

And then using a couple of velcro strap you can see it here mounted on a Canon 24-105mm 77mm Lens…

2017-01-14-19-26-43

I measured the current in use, my meter isn’t very accurate but approx 1.5A with the heater on and 50ma without…

By my maths:

80% of 2200mah (Leaves 20% in the Lipo) = 1760mah available.

1760mah / 1500mah (heater current) = Approx 1:10 Minutes of runtime with the heater on all the time, or 2:20 with a 50% duty cycle… I think i’ll probably run it off 4400mah giving between 2:20 and 4:40 which will be plenty for most day to night/night to day… If i need more power for longer i have a car 😉

Leave a Reply